Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Good Deeds

Doing something nice for someone else should be its own reward, right? Well sure...but there can be other benefits. My friend, Denise Relke, has been a huge supporter of my art for ages. Not only does she admire my work wholeheartedly and buy paintings from me, but she helps out too. Every year, she comes and minds my studio for an hour during the Culture Crawl, so that I can grab lunch and do a mini-tour of my own.

Denise runs her own jewellery business, Sporty Jewels.  She is very self-sufficient, and seldom asks me to help her in return, even though she has booths at various sporting events all year round. So I was very happy to have a chance to repay her kindness when she needed a promotional dartboard for her jewellery booth. She had an idea of what she wanted, and we brainstormed on how to achieve it. We got a round piece of plexiglass cut, and then I drew a dartboard pattern on it and painted it with bright acrylic colours. She got personalized darts to complete the game. The whole project was a big success, with her customers loving the playful aspect of the promotion.


It looks like a tropical location, but it's actually Victoria,

Of course, Denise was overly grateful and brought me a gorgeous orchid for the studio. So my good deed was already rewarded, right? Well, actually the biggest reward has been that I had to buy a compass to draw the dartboard. And having a compass has caused me to paint dartboard patterns everywhere. In the past months, here are some of the layers I’ve painted.





  

So you see, creative ideas can come from all kinds of places, even good deeds. Does this inspire you to do something nice for someone today?

4 comments:

  1. A great story and even nicer paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. On the day the post dropped, Denise dropped by and brought me a necklace she made in glass. I'll never be able to even things up!

      Delete
  2. I would like the bottom right one, with the hot pink dartboard please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on paper so I could ship it to you. Will you be paying in cheese? Because I could get behind that.

      Delete